The temperatures outside FINALLY started to drop a little, and leaves are showing a little color (but not on poor 'ol Toomers). If you are a 'seasonal eater' like myself, fall means delish chilis, soups, muffins, and pies! Why limit apple pie to a dessert? Check out this Apple Pie Bourbon! With only a little work, and a few days waiting, you can have a tasty fall gameday tonic.
Apple Pie Bourbon
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, chopped
- 2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle bourbon
- 1/4 cup simple syrup
1. Place first 3 ingredients in a 1-qt canning jar. Add bourbon; cover with metal lid, and screw on lid. Let bourbon stand at room temperature for 4 days.
2. Shake jar to distribute flavors. Pour bourbon mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a pitcher, discarding solids. Stir in Simple Syrup, and pour into a clean 1-qt. canning jar or 3 to 4 small bottles. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 2 months.
(recipe from Southern Living - September 2012)